Saturday, September 17, 2016

The 50 Yard Dash




    The humidity was high that Friday afternoon. The fifth grade was buzzing with anticipation for Field Day. Everyone speculated who would win the races. There was some debate about the fastest boy in the 5th grade. Some of the group agreed it was Ronnie, but others thought it was Chad. Everyone agreed the fast girl was “Too Tall Tyisha.” She stood about 5’8, with legs that seemed longer than my whole body. Secretly, I wanted to be the fastest, and I could sway opinion today by winning the “50 Yard Dash”.

     Mr. Tan our P.E teacher had spent the morning marking the field with fresh white chalk lines. At 2:00PM we walked out single file unto the black top to gather by grade and class room for the field day events. Lining the far side of the long chalked out running field, the parents gathered with lawn chairs and blankets. 

    Mr. Tan stood in the middle of the field in white polyester gym shorts and a polo shirt. His tanned legs contrasted the white gym socks pulled to his knees. With a whistle around his neck, a clip board in one hand, and a megaphone in the other he stood. On the Megaphone he greeted both the students and their gathered fans.

    This was my favorite day of the school year. After the gunny sack, the three legged, and the wheel barrow race Mr. Tan announced the “50 Yard Dash”.  All year I had visualized myself holding the first place ribbon. Confidence washed over me as I remembered beating my oldest brother in a race once. If I could do that, maybe I could beat Tyisha.

    As he called my name, I took my place behind the white chalk line. Looking down the row of competitors, I spotted Too Tall Tyisha. Oh no! I thought, how could I beat her? Her legs were like a gazelle, they were long and skilled. Hearing my dad’s voice from across the grassy field I gained courage. “You can do it Dianne!” he called out.

    My education at Kittrell had been one with some struggle. In second grade I was in the blue group, the lowest level for reading. The color name was to make students feel equal, but we all knew the pecking order. Tired of being embarrassed, in Third grade I asked my teacher how I could get out of the blue group. She decided to give me a test. After school I filled out the test praying for God’s intervention. The next morning, a smiling Mrs. Reed told me I had passed and would be joining the yellow group that morning.

    School did not come easy, but that morning proved that I could advance if I worked with all my heart. At home my younger brother took my mother’s focus. He struggled a lot more than I did. Even in the 3rd grade I knew, if I was going to make it, I had to be the one to push myself. My parents’ energies were pulled in other directions.
   
    So here behind the line, my boomerang permed hair was pulled up in a high ponytail with a homemade scrunchy as my permed bangs hung like a spider plant above my eyes.  My Hawaiian blouse with quarter size black buttons tied in the front and slightly hung over my florescent green biker shorts. I wore purple Pumas with turquoise tube socks as I took my position.  

Mr. Tan on the megaphone called out, “Get ready, Get set, Go!”

    Like an explosion my body leaped forward. Arms pumping, legs pulsing, heart pounding, eyes focused on the finish line. Cheers echoed as my heart beat in my ears. Before I could really get a breath it was over. My whole body had taken the heat.

   My friend Emily Schmidt greeted me at the side, “Dianne you won!”

“What?” I said through breaths, “I beat Too Tall Tyisha?”

“Yes, her shoe came loose so she slowed down, then you blazed right past her!” Emily smiled with pride.

    Joy filled my soul, could I really be the best runner in the 5th grade? Jumping up and down I squealed.  Being the 3rd of four kids, made it hard to be the best at anything. I had 2 older brothers who were always smarter, funnier, and more skilled at sports than me.  When it came to a performance showdown, I was just the “kid” sister. But today I could go home with a blue ribbon.

    This time “blue” didn’t mean lowest; it meant set apart, victorious, winner, the best. After Field Day was over Dad and Mom greeted me with a hug. My Dad was already recounting the race with larger than life detail. Beaming with pride, I felt content that I had finally captured my Father’s attention.


My name is Dianne Tullis and I won the 50 Yard Dash.    

1 comment: