Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Birds On A Wire



Last night after pressing “post”- I felt the insecurity that so many writers feel when they release their writing. It was only 553 words, but they somehow dropped right out of a window in my soul. Thoughts like phantoms rose up inside.
“Can I even do this?”
“Will I be accepted?”
“Did I even convey what I was trying to say?”
            
           In the midst of this emotional conflict I decided to go to “Finding Dory” with my daughters and afterward do a bit of shopping. A home furnishing and décor store caught my eye. Now, if you think I am one of those savvy decorators with matching pillows and vases with cool branchy stuff, I’m not. But “What Would Dory Do?” was still fresh in my mind. Of course, she would decorate! At the back of the store, I saw it. A medium sized painting of “Birds on a Wire.” I decided with the Labor Day Sale going on, why not buy it?

So what is it about Birds? They seem to be a theme with me. In the summer I wake up to the cheerful chatter of the sparrows. In the late fall and early winter I am mesmerized by the vibrant wings of the cardinal and blue jay. Still others alarm me like the hawk or owl I’ve seen perched high above my city dwelling. But what I love most is the sound of the robins when they return to the Midwest after the long cold winter months. Their songs in the thawing breeze bring hope.

Why do birds on wing stir me? They are natural, beautiful, small, and obscure yet free. Without a lesson, instinctively they sing. Some have amazing ability to be used by men like the carrier pigeon, as a messenger. And the doves used in the story of Noah, to alert him that land was found. Worldwide the breeds and classifications of birds number in the 1000’s.  But the common thread between them all, is their impeccable ability to communicate life.

Maybe trying my pen out as a writer has rattled me a bit. I must confess- pressing “post” did evoke a memory of the smartest girl in fifth grade, Katie Fillio. As I think of her I can picture the recycled blue lined paper we used for essays. My page scuffed gray with repeated erase attempts yet still blank, while she hands her finished paper to the teacher with an air of confidence. Is it Katie Fillio “good?” My young self asks. Problem is, I was not created to be Katie Fillio. Instead, I must ask is it Dianne Singleton “best”?

How do we get to our best? I think that "best" comes from somewhere other than the depths of me or you. It 's source is like the miracle of birds in flight and as unique as their song. It comes from the loving heart and purpose of the Creator God. In Matthew 2:26 Jesus said, Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? I find my best when I am confident God is with me, Because He is with me, I take courage to step out on a wing and a prayer.   

Each bird has it’s own distinct sound, call, communication. Right now, I am finding my voice, my sound, my message. I invite you to step out with me, We will find our wings to soar with the creative designs God has placed within us.


I read a book once that talked about writing- taking it bird by bird, unique thought or inspiration- one subject at a time, one bird at a time. So as I look at this painting of a little group of birds perched on the wire, I am comforted and encouraged to take this new writing world- one bird at a time.

4 comments:

  1. I love this one too! I can totally relate to being afraid to post. I actually posted a very long post the day before last and deleted it because I was afraid. It was a post about being real and being vulnerable. A post about not being afraid to let others in. A post about not fearing others reactions. And ironically enough, I chickened out and deleted it! Your posts give me strength and courage. I love them. They are honest and wonderful. ❤❤❤ thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dianne, I usually don't take the time to read blogs, but I read your first and, after reading that, was anxious to read this one. You have such a talent for writing! Thank you for sharing. I'll anxiously await your next post. :-)

    ReplyDelete