Sunday, September 18, 2016

Following the Dream with Water Skis


      I was 10, the year I went to my best friend’s cabin at Lake Delhi. To spend a whole weekend at the lake sounded fun, but what really excited me was the opportunity to learn how to water ski.  As soon as the car stopped, Christy and I burst from the back seat and out onto the lawn.

“Dianne, come on, let me show you the place,” She called energetically.

     The front screen door smacked behind us as we ran across the rug, through the living room and kitchen and the back screen door smacked behind us as we faced the lake. Quiet and moving, it looked dark but not murky. Sitting down on the sandy beach, behind the cabin, we chattered excitedly. Christy had been my friend for as long as I could remember, a conversation was second nature. We looked up when we heard her mother calling. We had forgotten to take our bags in from the car.

     After we got settled, we put on our swim suits. Armed with a grape Koo-laid in red solo cups, we went out to the water’s edge and buried our toes in the moist sand. The air was filled with the buzz of cicadas and the occasional ski boat’s engine speeding by. We waited contentedly as her Step Father was working on the boat still tied to the dock. We watched with anticipation.

“It took me 10 tries to get up on the skis the first time” Christy explained.

“Is it scary?” I asked inquisitively trying not to sound nervous.

“No, it’s a blast!” said Christy, the experienced member of the Lake Delhi ski team.

     Excitement mixed with fear stirred in my gut. Suddenly Chad, Christy’s older brother, came barreling past us, diving into the water. He let out a yell of satisfaction. Seeing the fun, we took a running start and jumped into the water after him. The water was warm this time of year and had a fishy smell. As I doggy paddled I could see little bits of seaweed floating around me. The thought of touching a fish with my bare foot made me inch closer to shore. We felt like queens, with the lake all to ourselves, as we splashed and swam.  

“Christy, look I can do 3 front somersaults, count!” I said diving end over end.

     Angie, her older sister also got in the water. Her mother was sunning herself on a lawn chair, and a boat radio started to croon. The day’s temperature was 86 degrees Fahrenheit, it was a perfect day to go boating.

“Everybody in!” Christy’s stepdad called to us.

      A Yellow raft filled the back of the boat, so we all gathered in the middle to the front. Chad was first to ski. It was fun to see the white foam in the wake left by the boat. He was a fearless water skier and even went slalom using only one ski.

     Next, Christy went, then Angie, soon it was my turn. Jumping over the side. My body felt tingly in the cool waters. I was nervous as the life jacket bobbed me as I tried to position the skis. They felt strange and hard to manage as the waves knocked me out of the cannonball sitting position.

“Come on Dianne,” I said to myself, “you can’t let them down. Keep the rope between your skis, knees bent and together and arms out straight and firm. Lean back as the boat starts to pull. Hold on: I-2-3 go!”

    Ugh…I let go, so I tried again. Ugh…I let go 13 times. Everyone including me was about to give up. Finally, on the 14th try, I did it! I held on, straightened my arms, leaned back, kept my legs sturdy and slightly bent until I could stand. I was up! I was up! Now, what? I thought as everyone cheered. I wanted to stay in the smooth waters on the inside of the wake directly behind the boat, but the boat began to turn. Christy’s smile said I could do it, as it turned left I moved the skis right and over a small wave. My legs shook as I carefully went down over it. A smile broke out on my damp face, as I realized I had made it.

     The boat straightened out again and I returned to the middle. The spray from my skis made a little prism of water vapor. My arms and legs were getting tired from the pull of the rope, but my smile continued to grow. As I tried to cross the wake a second time my knees spread too far and I lost control. I wiped out. Coming back up with water in my nose and skis floating away, I was breathing heavy but feeling relieved that I wasn’t hurt.  Soon the boat pulled up and strong arms lifted me out of the water. Everyone cheered me on for my first water skiing experience. I sat in a quiet victory.
   
     Our dreams can be like this challenge on the skis. Dreaming itself isn’t intimidating, that part is fun, limitless, and freeing. Unfortunately, it is the execution of the idea that is difficult. Setting goals to see the dream actualized can feel scary and discouraging. But like the little ski beginner, when we jump in and get set up to go, there is often a period of waiting for the dream to materialize. After 13 tries, I finally got the hang of it. In working out the dream we can’t give up.

     Thomas Edison once explained the endless pursuit of actualizing his dream for the invention of the light bulb this way, “I have not failed I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” His tenacious pursuit of the dream later brought him success he worked for.

     So whether you are putting on water skis or stepping out in a new business venture at some point you have to decide to jump in. You can do it afraid and alone, or you can ask God to go with you. As a Christ follower, I have gained courage to step out “in faith.” On water skis you feel like you are walking on water, but if the boat slows you will be sunk.  As I learn to follow the One who walked on water, I begin to see His purpose for the dreams in my heart. Knees bent, arms extended and leaning back into the arms of God, take a leap of faith and trust him with your dream.


“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path.”
Proverbs 3:5-6 

3 comments: