Tuesday, April 21, 2020

The Amazing Race

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding."Proverbs 3:5.

     I remember when I memorized this verse in high school. My Youth Pastor had passed out orange cards with this verse printed on it. He had instructed us to post it somewhere to be seen everyday. I put mine on the mirror in my room. At the time I doubted I could really memorize it by heart. But 20+ years later I rarely go a day without thinking about it.

     Last night I tried to make another meal. This quarantine cooking challenge has grown harder. I knew I needed groceries but I thought I could muster up another meal from the random supplies left in the pantry and fridge. It was one of those Trust in the Lord and lean not on your own understanding moments."

    Earlier in the day I thawed a pork loin roast a friend had given us. I quickly googled how to cook one in my Instant Pot:) I found a recipe I had all the ingredients for. Feeling like I hit the jackpot, I went to work. Second, I gathered my side dishes. From the bottom drawer of the fridge I grabbed a chilled can of biscuits. Digging through the deep freeze I uncovered a forgotten bag of veggies. Perfect I thought! All I need now is a few more quick and easy recipes to put this all together.

    I paused with a look toward heaven.  "Lord, You have provided," I said with my best Morgan Freeman impression, "please don't fail me now." In faith, I prepared dinner. Lately meal time had been going well. We'd gather around the table for a few moments to laugh together and share the day. Since the quarantine, this has become my focal point. I had already made the pink lemonade from the powdered mix because, hey I am gourmet.

     When I called the family together I expected to see gratitude for the meal I scraped together. Inside I felt a sense of accomplishment and appreciation to Google for helping me with these last minute recipes. I was sure my family would match my enthusiasm.
   
    As they trickled in from all corners of the house instead of praise I was met with one two year-old trying to crawl across the table, and two daughters fighting over the same chair. Their brother, the oldest, was looking at his phone oblivious to the raucous until his father told him to put it away. With an eye roll he passed the rolls.  As the microwaved vegetable medley went around the table someone simply said "5 miles an hour is pretty fast for a human."
 
    Who would think such a phrase could alter our evening so quickly but there it was heavier than the plate of pork loin roast drenched in the apple cider dressing in the center of the table.

 "I could run 5 miles in an hour," Lydia said.

  "No you couldn't," Elaina interjected.

   "I would beat you for sure," Isaiah chimed in.
.
           And as simple as that, the table irrupted in boasting, arguing and yelling. I tried to simmer them down so we could enjoy the meal I had Googled over. All notions of peace and tranquility quickly flew out the kitchen window as their voices escalated. Judah just stared, wide eyed at his teenage siblings. Had they lost their minds, his expression seemed to question.
 
    The answer is, Yes. And if you are reading this with teenagers in your home right now, I know you have experienced this strange phenomena.

    Isaiah's voice continued to rise louder and more boastful as the girls pounced on his ever increasing pride. Unable to hold in the disappointment I felt for my lovely meal destroyed by conflict I rose from my chair. I put down my fork and looked my first born son in the eyes, "Prove it!"

    He stopped boasting about his natural track and field abilities for a moment and looked at me.

     "Prove it Isaiah! I'll race you right now," I challenged again.

    Lydia stopped her combative attack and looked at me in alarm. "Mom, you just ate the pork loin roast, you are going to get sick."

     Undeterred I locked eyes with my son. He had ruined my perfect meal and I was not going to let it slide.

    "Fine, let's do it Mom," he consented.

   I ran to put on my running gear. Now, just in case you think I am a runner, and I train for stuff like this all the time. Please let me clue you in, I DON'T. I am not a bad runner. I have actually completed a few 5 Ks but never 5 miles and never at 7:35PM after eating Pork Loin Roast that was a little on the dry side. But a mama has to do what a mama has to do to shut the mouth of her lion cub.

   In the van another fight broke out causing big mouth 1 and 2 to stay home with their baby brother. This left only three of us. We drove to the high school track with this understanding. We would run the 20 laps around the track. The first one to complete the five miles under an hour would win $50.

   I played a new song on my phone," Graves to Gardens" on repeat as Brad yelled "Go."

    Isaiah started off at a medium pace. I slowed down a little remembering I was on 1 of 20 laps. He got ahead of me, about a half a lap, but I encouraged myself with the phrase, "slow and steady wins the race."

     He ran fast and I cheered. This quarantine had been hard on him. He missed his friends. Having his 18th birthday a few days ago was monumental, but he was only allowed to assemble a few friends together in the front yard standing 6 feet apart. The recent announcement that the rest of the school year was canceled only added to the growing disappointment. For the first time in weeks he was running. Even if my legs fell off in this race it was worth it to me.

    One lap down and 19 to go I sang, "Lord there is nothing better than you." My son was moving. Hallelujah! Oh the measures we take as parents to help our kids get out of their funk. He ran the first mile without stopping. He was actually breaking a sweat.  This whole indoors edict had really shut him down, but for a moment I saw passion galloping down the track in a Ramen Noodle pant suit. The hope of earning a crisp $50 dollar bill made him work every muscle of his body together for his good. Unfortunately, as he finished the fourth lap he made the mistake of walking. He crossed the two mile mark half walking half running, before his final retreat to the van.

 I kept running.

    Completing lap 10, I danced and sang with my song on repeat "Oh Lord there is nothing better than you."

    This race was not about showing how strong I was. I was actually surprised I hadn't lost my dinner yet. It had become a battle in prayer. "Lord, give my son back what he has lost this spring. Restore to him what has been cancelled."

    As I cleared lap twelve, I remembered my own healing. I pumped my arms and moved my legs in rhythm down the track with more speed. Only two short years ago I couldn't even run one lap around the track. Having Judah had injured my hip, and for over a year it hurt to walk. As I cleared the 3 mile mark I was grateful my hip had no pain.

       From the van Brad ran to join me, but he made it clear that he would only run every other lap. His support reminded me that we are in this crazy life of raising kids together. Some nights are rowdy and we are not happy with each other at all. As I rounded the corner to my final lap he joined me one last time. We cheered as we crossed the finish line side by side.

         I completed the five miles in 52 minutes and 30 seconds. We couldn't believe it. I actually could run 5 miles per hour! Brad drove to the cash machine to put the $50 in my hands. Isaiah was quiet, humbled by the defeat.

 "Wow Mom you really did it, " he acknowledged.

        Knowing the lion had been tamed I said, "pull over at the Dairy King, Brad. Winner treats Loser," I said teasing.

     We ordered ice cream and talked about the race on the way home. The tension and boasting was gone but we were connecting. For me, that was the real victory.

      I am learning to "Trust in the Lord with all my heart and not to lean on my own understanding." In family life I have to be ready to lean into faith on a moments notice.

    Who knew that the little orange card given so many years ago would have the power to take a disruptive dinner and turn it into an amazing race.
 

8 comments:

  1. Mama’s a bada@$ and I love it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story. Funny and meaningful!!! Keep writing, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deane! Real life is too crazy to keep a straight face.

      Delete
  3. Amazing! You are such a rockstar and a wonderful mom, wife, pastor, and friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your very kind words! And for taking the time to read this. You made my day.

      Delete