Saturday, April 4, 2020

Elaina Joy

     
 
     It was warm outside the evening that she came. We had just went on a walk around the small town of Washburn with Isaiah our first born. He was just shy of two years old. He happily pointed to the birds. He knew how to say that word.

As I walked next to his stroller I could feel my stomach contract, so we decided to turn around. We got home just in time for the second contraction. Five minutes later the third more severe contraction came.

      I called my Dad. My parents had a Cruise scheduled to celebrate their anniversary. As he answered the phone he explained that I caught him just before they left for a tanning appointment. Trying to stay calm I told him I thought I was going into labor. I could hear my mom in the background.

"Steve, we have to cancel the tanning appointment, this baby is coming."

     Shortly after the phone call when we had my over night bag packed we got in the car with Isaiah. I felt a pinch in my heart. He would only be our baby for a few moments longer. He looked small as he held his Blue Blank, his treasured blanket in one arm and his big red stuffed Clifford dog in the other. He was thinking about the new baby.

"Baby coming," he said in his toddler babble.

   Brad and I looked at each other and smiled. We loved our little family that was about to expand. After we dropped Isaiah off at my parents house the contractions got more intense. We lived 10 miles out of town and from my parents house the hospital was another fifteen minutes. It was dark now as we drove to the other side of town. With every minute the contractions were more intense. I started to fear I wouldn't make it to the hospital at all.

    We parked in the emergency parking lot. Somehow Brad helped me to the check in desk. Luckily we didn't have to wait. The nurse brought over a wheel chair so I didn't have to walk any further because the pain was getting more unbearable.

   In the birthing room I tried to lay down on the bed but the pain in my lower back was so intense I couldn't. When the midwife came into the room she quickly assessed the situation. I will never forget how she said, "Dianne this baby is ready to be born so go for it."

    What? I am not ready, I thought. I had just arrived.
 
    Ten minutes later at 10:33 she was born, my beautiful Elaina Joy. She weighed 8.3 pounds, 21 inches. She was the same weight and length that Isaiah was when he was born. April 6th would always be a special day to me. At the first sight of her pink little face I fell in love. She had a little kitten cry. She was angry to be in the bright cold room, yet when she was placed in my arms she stopped crying. I held her close her little hand in mine. Overwhelmed I studied her adorable her little face.

"I'm going to love you dear Elaina," I whispered, tears forming in my happy eyes.
                                                             
     In a few short days my little girl will be sixteen. How time flies so quickly. I named her Elaina after the heroine in Zorro, and I added the middle name Joy because I was overjoyed when I found out I was having her.

   Her blond curls have turned auburn. She has grown from a baby to a young woman faster than I wanted. Her brown eyes are intelligent and her smile is beautiful. She is gentle with her baby brother. She is hard working and creative. She has a passion for drama, and like any teenager, really wants her own car.

   The Mission trip to El Salvador last year ignited a heart for the world. She has been working hard to earn money to go back this year to help street kids again, but now the trip is on stand by as we wait out this Virus. But I am thankful for the past few weeks to have her close, ALL THE TIME.

    Okay, I sound like a needy mom.And let's be honest, I am. It takes a lot of energy, prayers, patience, and perseverance to raise a child up to this point. I HAVE GRAY HAIR FOLKS! But having a daughter is worth far more than any cost.

     Elaina Joy whatever you do in life I will be here cheering you on. Whom ever you become I will be your prayer partner, the shoulder to cry on, and the coach in your corner encouraging you to go on. From the moment I first laid eyes on you in the hospital room sixteen years ago I knew that you would change my life, but I had no idea how fun this life would be with you by my side. 

    I am joyful not because you are perfect or because we get a long all the time. I am joyful because you are a precious and rare gift and for this little time that I have right now, I get to inspire you everyday. I pray I don't miss this opportunity.



 




     

2 comments:

  1. Its so fun to hear the details of that SPECIAL day! Thanks for sharing it with us! Also...she has a lovely name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Month to a fellow April baby! I can’t believe she’s turning 16! She is beauuuuuutiful just like her mama. Love you.

    ReplyDelete