Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Precious Moments

     
      To sit in Daddy's lap to a two year old is like sitting on a throne of regal strength and confidence. At least that is what my little Judah's face expresses. These days he talks about Incredible Hulk as he perches on his Daddy's knee. He roars as he hangs on Daddy's shoulder. He sings super hero songs spontaneously as he leans into his Father's muscly chest. 

    Judah's fascination with his Dad can be overwhelming at times.  There is no place in the house that Brad can go that Judah doesn't follow quickly behind. Judah's eyes are always on the look out for his Father. From the time he was an infant Judah has wanted to be mighty just like his daddy.

    Life with a two year old is full of Baby Shark, Pull-ups, and goldfish crackers. It is continual episodes of spilled Sippy cups and wet training pants. With my fourth child, eleven years younger than his closest sibling I have learned not to sweat the little things. I take a slower more relaxed pace with this one, the little surprise.

    If you have read my blog from the past, Judah wasn't born yet. I was awaiting this little life changer. My world was immersed in Elementary and Junior high aged children. I had forgotten all about bibs and blankets. So much of my life was focused on proving myself to the world.

Sigh...

And then came Judah.

    In a moment he transformed our family. At his birth we were transitioning between jobs. In a few short weeks after we brought him home from the hospital, we put our house up for sale. In two short months we moved from a big town to a little village. We transitioned from spending our summer days at the public pool to a farm pond. With all of the change I felt speechless. Somehow I couldn't find words, I just felt numb. So I held this little one closer.

     Soft cooing has definitely transformed into cute toddler talk. He no longer wants to snuggle with mommy. Daddy is the super hero now. He is in a new stage, and sadly as my older three children are getting closer to leaving the home I find myself wanting to hang onto the wonder he brings to us.

    Now that my oldest, Isaiah is about to graduate I realize I am guilty. I have let precious moments slip by. It was not intentional, life just got away from me somehow...

    It is just like God to bring in a life changer like a baby to slow my world down. I am so thankful he did. I had no idea when the winds of change knocked us off our feet almost three years ago how much I need a re-start. I let go a little of me to gain more of the hearts of my kids. I slowed down to catch up to the three teenagers. I had no idea how hard it would be to teach them how to fly. I should have read more books. Yet having Judah to make us laugh when hormones are high and moods are stormy has brought us all closer together.

    I am guilty. I didn't mean to take precious moments for granted, but I did. In the quest to find myself I often over looked my kids. I hate to say it.

Then along came Judah.

     Right now we face an unique opportunity. Many of us are in self quarantine because of the Coronavirus. Schools are closed. Many jobs are up in the air. The virus is very real and has come too close to many of us. Life has never been more precious and valuable. We are picking up the phone to call our loved ones more. Many of us are working from home with the gaggle of children surrounding us. Perhaps this is the moment we had hoped for, family togetherness.

    But it is hard. I am not going to lie. Having peace with all six of us at the same time is almost impossible, but this time is still a strange gift to me. My life had gotten so busy and I was in danger of going too fast again and missing out on my most valued relationships when everything just stopped.

     In this unusual moment I am praying more. The world needs our prayers as new heroes appear on the scene like the sweet lady in my church who is sewing face masks for the local hospital. The teenager, I know, who is using his time to create face masks at home with a Cricket machine. I am praying for the grocery store clerks who ring up our daily essentials.  I am grateful for my friend, the nurse, who is working in the Coronavirus wing of the hospital. I am praying, I am calling, and I am humbled by their service.
     
     Last night, as I was about to finish this Blog. I was almost ready for my comfy pajamas. Because I haven't been sleeping lately (due to the Mouse) I was looking forward to getting to bed. That is when Isaiah, my seventeen year-old came bounding up the steps. He plopped down on the chair next to me his legs over the side. I could tell he wanted to talk, but it was already eleven o'clock.

     I wasn't excited. I really could have skipped this Precious moment but the computer was still open and the cursor was still flashing.

Sigh...

    I had a choice to make.

    Three hours later after watching a movie he really wanted me to see and discussing its moral issues. After listening to every idea, and thought that he had on his heart and mind he paused. I was suddenly surprised by his hug. My gangling and almost grown seventeen year-old hugged me, and said those three little words:

I LOVE YOU. 

    At last I sleepily fell into bed with a smile. This was a rare and precious moment indeed, and it would cost me...was it worth it?



    I wouldn't trade that moment for anything.
   

   
 
 



   





No comments:

Post a Comment