Thursday, September 15, 2016

My Favorite "Western" Barbie


                                                                            

    It was the summer of 1982. Mother had spent the day vacuuming and washing, dusting and putting away for the party. In my blue dress with tiny white hearts, I pranced around energetically.

   “Mom, is Stacey coming?”

   “Christy said yes, right?”

    I was turning 5.

    Later when all my young pony-tailed friends and my gaggle of brothers gathered around, I opened presents. To surprise me, my parents waited till the very end to give me a narrow rectangular shaped box. I screamed even before I opened it. “Western Barbie!”

    Through shredded festive paper, I laid eyes on her. She had real blinkable blue eyes at the press of the square button on her back. Her blond hair was long and curled under the white cowboy hat. A silver bodice and black piping accentuated the white fringe one piece cowgirl outfit she wore. Complete with white boots, she was spectacular.

    After the guests left, I took Western Barbie with me to my pink walled raspberry shag carpeted bedroom. On the floor I spread out all her possible boyfriends: Ken, Kurt, Dustin, and Clark. Next to these heart throbs, were all her possible best friends: Skipper, Dana, and Crystal.

    “Western Barbie, meet your new friends, “ I said as I walked/hopped her stiff legs to the group who were now leaning against the homemade cardboard Living room designed by my uncle. All the girls looked at her with pretty heads and angled arms. The fellas looked approvingly at her with white painted smiles and perfectly tanned skin. All of them were dressed accept Ken. He had lost his shirt somewhere between Waterloo and Evansdale last week on the way to grandma’s house. Life is not fair.

    “Howdy” she said with my most country twang as I blinked her blue eyelids shut. The whole group stared in amazement. Stories were beginning to form. Already I could tell Dana was jealous of Western Barbie’s boots. Clark was feeling left out because he had just broken up with Skipper. Crystal wondered if Western Barbie had any clothes she could borrow. In the meantime, Dustin wanted to steal away in the pink corvette, but Kurt was hiding the keys.

     Skipper was the first to speak. She wore a turquoise exercise leotard with white, yellow, and pink striped leg warmers.

    “Hi there, are you a real Cow Girl? My name is Skipper, would you like to exercise?” She asked in my highest happy voice.

    Western Barbie hemmed and hawed as I fumbled to find Skipper’s “Barbie exercising tape.” With the cassette popped into my Playschool microphone and cassette tape recorder, Skipper began her work out as she sang:

    Lookin’ good
    Feeling Great
    Barbie exercising tape
    Lookin’ good
    Feelin’ fine
    Let’s work-out all the time!


     Soon Western Barbie kicked off her white boots and joined in. Even Dana loosened up and decided to get fit. Before Mother called me for dinner, Clark had asked Western Barbie to the dance. Not wanting to be out done, Ken arrived dressed in a toilet paper suit. Standing against my blue Smurfette roller skate, he finally mustered the courage to ask the new girl with the white Stetson for a dance. In anger, Clark stormed off when Ken cut in. Western Barbie turned slowly replying with a simple blink with her plastic blue eye lids. Ken was lost for words as she lassoed his heart. 



No comments:

Post a Comment