Monday, September 5, 2016

Living Inside Out




     Have you ever watched the recent Pixar movie released by Disney called “Inside Out?”
It is a wonderful story of a girl named Riley, who faces an emotional struggle when her family moves from Minnesota to San Francisco. The real story, though, is happening inside- with her emotions: Joy, Sadness, Anger, Disgust, and Fear. “Joy” is characterized as a light whimsical character that always saves the day. But Sadness is characterized as a short, blue, frumpy, dreary little person who everyone abides with only because they have to. Joy and Sadness appear in the movie to have nothing in common. Sadness doesn’t even seem to have a purpose at all. In fact, Joy tries all she can to make Riley’s life joyful by keeping Sadness as far away as possible. But as the storyline unwinds, it turns out Sadness can use her power for good. Joy learns she is not the only one to save the day.

     We are coming into the fall season when my life gets hectic with school, work, and church obligations. The air gets colder as the cravings for a Pumpkin spice lattes get stronger. This is a season of opportunity. I can’t help thinking “yes” and “no” could be little people waging war inside my head in an internal drama to control my time.

     I picture “Yes” like the character “Joy” sparkling with life, energy, fun, and future success. Across from her, weighing 5,000 pounds stands “No,” dark, dreary, sluggish, lagging, boring, frumpy, and plain.   Who wants to hang around “No?”
She is limited, honest about herself, and is bound to responsibility.  She is…Old.

“Yes” on the other hand, wears the latest fashion.  She turns heads.  She is admired by others.

“How can she do all that?”

 “She is Amazing!”

The famous song, “Fame” plays in the background as “Yes” walks by. She is tall (like supermodel leg tall.) She is sophisticated, talented, and young.  She is sporty.  She is pink nails.  She is Blonde highlights.  She is the bright and glowing future.   She is…. NUTS!

That is what my husband says when he finds out I said “Yes” again. “But Dianne, didn’t you think about all you are already doing right now?” His words burst my happy “Yes” balloon, as reality sinks in.

I turn to see my three children at the dinner table waiting for dinner. Oops! I haven’t prepared anything because I was busy dreaming with “Yes.”  After a glance in the fridge, I realize I have 2 eggs, 1 lone sausage link, a carton of yogurt, and a handful of grapes. The pressure is mounting as I throw together a breakfast-dinner surprise.

After my makeshift meal, I stop to contemplate the power of “Yes.” How did I get suckered into the fantasy world of “Yes,” again?

Reality is a rude awakening and so is “No.”

But as much as I despise her, she is needed. As much as I wish I was limitless, boundless, all talented, completely emotionally open, ready, and able (Strings Please) I am not.

I have to ask myself, “Dianne do you really have the margin for this great opportunity?”

I need to picture my 3 children waiting at a dinner table for mom to be present. Yikes!!!

To be honest, I need “No” as much as I want “Yes.”

1 comment: