Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Forgiveness Does


    I used to sing a nursery song to the pre-school class I co-led, “Forgive as the Lord forgave you.” I would kneel down to the level of the children. With a smile, I softened my voice to teach them the verse from Colossians 3:13 I had put to song. Little voices sang and called out the phrase as their little bodies burst with energy. To say “I’m sorry” and “I forgive you” are important social lessons for little children to learn, so we sang this song a lot.

    Little did I know how the catchy melody would float into my life on more occasions than I desired. When I found myself angry or hurt the simple song came in like a gentle breeze reminding me of the Lord. The one who continually sings this song over me, His song of redemption.

     As I picture the preschool class, I have to admit I have acted like the little girl on the end with the red plaid dress and patent leather shoes, with a pouty lip. She is still mad at the little boy two carpet squares down from her, for breaking her clay pot. She had spent the whole art time forming it for her mother, and he broke it. Forgiveness sometimes feels like giving in or letting someone get away with doing wrong. I have spent times with arms crossed refusing to sing, refusing to let go of the bitterness.

     I seem to be both near and far sighted in my spiritual walk. I can’t seem to identify the blessings the Lord has given me in my most up-close and personal life, And I squint to see how he could be using the big picture to bring his song of joy into my heart. I often stand at the edge of decision, do I walk with the Lord with hands open and heart surrendered or do I strap on my hand-made suit of armor and come against the hardness of life in my own strength. The decision determines if the little pre-school song accompanies my steps or not.

     In truth, I have walked in forgiveness and I have walked in hardness of heart, both are hard. But the first choice brings something beautiful from the ashes as I choose to die to another part of myself. To surrender is to allow the brokenness of life to crumble to the ground so God can take his potter’s hand and repair me with something eternal, heavenly, other-worldly. How else can I forgive the one who hates me, speaks ugly things about me, and reviles me? It is a heavenly mystery wrapped up in the ultimate reconciler, Jesus Christ. So today I choose to sing: “Forgive as the Lord Forgave you, Colossians 3:13.”


    Yes, I will sing it like a child running free in the wind at Recess time. When the burden is laid down the freedom starts to roll in. If forgiveness was a one-time event the bell would never sound. But in this world forgiveness is a practice more than a moment. There might be a lot of little boys two carpet squares down that offend, frustrate, and anger us. I could name a few right now, but instead, I will hum the simple tune, and ponder this: if it wasn’t for His love where would I be? 

No comments:

Post a Comment