Thursday, November 10, 2016

The Day Two Became One

    
    That day still shines vibrantly in my mind. It was a sunny warm May morning. I plugged in the hot rollers as a normal routine, but today I felt nervous. My hair had to look perfect. I took out the new Mary Kay makeup I bought for the occasion. At noon I would be driving toVorland’s photography with my dress for pictures. May 16th, 1998 the day of our wedding.

    I was certain I knew Brad better than most girls knew their man. After all, we had been dating for what seemed like years, but actually only amounted to one year and 2 months. My parents were quietly happy for me, and a little nervous as they drove me to the photo shoot. We decided on having professional pictures before the wedding , and my mom’s strange earthy friend would take them for the ceremony. This was not my first choice, but moving up the wedding date from August to May made plans hastier.

    I had no idea that people might think moving up the wedding date was scandalous. It seemed like a brilliant idea to us rather than spend a whole summer apart. After all, we were meant for each other.
     In the dressing room at the photography studio, I started to feel jittery. Brad was about to see me in my Wedding gown. Would I be breathtaking in his sight? I hoped so, I dreamed so since I was just a little thing dressing up my Barbie and Ken dolls.

My mom helped me put the veil on, as we looked in the mirror, she said, “Dianne you look perfect.”

    I met Brad out in the foyer. His dark tanned skin made his white suit coat with tails almost glow. He looked handsome and shy as he looked at me. I felt shy too, would we really tie the knot today? It had seemed like a far off dream for so long.

“You look beautiful,” he said quietly and I believed him.

     We posed for pictures and tried to look relaxed, but we both felt the enormity of what we were about to do. The night before at the rehearsal seemed like a game compared to this. We posed for one more shot. Standing in the sunlight with trees gently rustling in the soft spring wind. I decided to put my lips together for this smile, something I rarely do. He leaned in and with a similar smile almost as if to say, she’s mine forever. With my hair down in loose curls, and his shoulder length hair just touching his collar, we stood holding the bouquet. Flash!

    We both wore white that day because we had somehow remained pure. Getting engaged had been a struggle for us, even in bible college. One night we were at a park near the school. We had parked the car to talk. That was always the plan anyway. But just as we started to really get into kissing, Pop! Pop! Pop! Something hit the car window. Brad got out to inspect his hotrod. Angrily he discovered someone had shot his car with a paintball gun. To the delight of some menace, the mood was ruined.

    Before the wedding, we met at the church at 3:00PM for pictures with the family. Our grandparents were there looking their best. How could we know that both of our grandfathers would be gone before we hit our five year anniversary? We were just anticipating starting our lives together.  Certainly, it would end in living happily ever after.

    At 5:30 the Wedding March began to play. After three bridesmaids and three groomsmen took their places and my little niece and nephew threw petals down the aisle, it was my turn. From the back of the church, I could hear the minister say, “All Arise.” The stirring of guests standing to their feet filled the air briefly before I took my first step. My arm looped through my father’s. He was so tall and proud to walk me down the aisle.

    In that moment, I was glad that we made it through the moody teen years. I was deeply moved that we  were able to have the wedding in this little Assembly of God  Church because my parents had rededicated their lives to the Lord. There was even a bounce in my dad’s step as he walked with me. All eyes focused on me as I looked beyond them to the dashing young man waiting for me.

    I gave my red rose bouquet to my maid of honor so I could take his hands in mine. Looking into his eyes I tried to hold it together, but the way he looked at me was so powerful. As we vowed to stay true through good and bad times I couldn’t imagine that bad times could ever exist as my hands rested in his. The unity candle song started to play so we lit the candle together and signed the marriage license. Returning to our previous position we both surged with excitement as we anticipated the next moment.

“It is my honor to pronounce Bradley Kent and Dianne Michelle Singleton as man and wife. Brad, you may kiss your bride," the minister declared to the applause and cheers of our guests. 

    Kiss me he did, even though I don’t like public displays of affection, just this once I let him have his way. The platform we stood on was about 3 feet off the ground. After we had our kiss of declaration we shot off the front of the stage and ran right down the aisle and out the door. Neither one of us really knew why, it just felt right to take our life together by storm.

    It has been eighteen years. At times those eighteen years seemed to crawl by. At other moments it seems as if in a blink of an eye his hair got thinner and mine turned gray.  He has seen me at my worst trying to be my very best. He has seen me to my best when I finally believed he loved me at my very worst. Together we have fought to keep our hearts on fire for God’s people and the work of the ministry. When no one else stood with us, we stood together hand in hand and eyes on Jesus.

    We haven’t enjoyed the finer things in life, and we don’t really mind. Love started in a little bible college court yard between classes. It grew over reheated chicken noodle soup in dorm lobbies. It fanned into flame after long walks and talks about the hope of Jesus in a broken world. It’s embers still glitter and glow as we debate grace and truth over bowls of cereal on Monday mornings after our children have finally gone to school. And his hand still comforts when the going gets tough, and I would really like to turn from my convictions and high tail it in the opposite direction.


    Yes, the day still shines vibrantly in my mind when I said “Yes” to love for a life time and friendship through the thick and thin. The day I sprinted down the aisle with my partner in life to take on the world. When I gave away my maiden name to take on his name as my own, the day two became one.

No comments:

Post a Comment