Thursday, November 3, 2016

It’s Not Over Yet


     It was a nice spring evening as I leaned into my warm up stretch during the track meet. My gold uniform stood out from the green grass I was sprawled out upon in preparation for the 400 low hurdles. Even though I had been undefeated in this event I still felt nervous that my winning streak could end at any moment. I was listening for Heat 6 to be called, that was my race. Taking deep breaths I relaxed into the stretch. Finally, I heard the heat called to get ready.

    As I entered the track and stretched my feet into the stocks I listened for the starting pistol as I tried to keep focus to make my launch. As the explosion released from the gun I shot out of the stocks and toward my first hurdle. Up and over quickly I sprinted forward with agility. I popped over the second clearing it smoothly. I could hear the other girls behind me inching closer. Because I was an early bloomer I still had the advantage in the eighth grade of height and balance. It was on the third hurdle that something went wrong. Somehow I caught my foot on the hurdle and lost balance. Suddenly I was rolling on the unforgiving asphalt.

    Somehow in that moment with my head still in the game, I got up. The girl from Central Intermediate passed me. Undeterred I jumped up and pushed into a new energy to finish this race. I didn’t give defeat a moment's thought because I only had a few seconds to close the gap. With all my might I thrust myself over the hurdle. Hitting the ground soundly I dug deep for my best sprint. I was catching up to her. One more hurdle. With all my strength I leaped over it and with the form of a gazelle I surpassed my opponent. I flexed every muscle to cross the finish line. Ahead by a few inches, I beat her to the excited cheers of my Mom and Dad.

      In the midst of the race I could have given up, but instinctively I knew to get up, because the race wasn’t over yet. Where ever you are today. What ever battle you might find yourself in at this present moment, I want you to know Your heavenly Father is in the stands cheering you on. Is he watching you from a distance? No, he is also the coach that is whispering to your heart, “This is the way to get through, trust me and I will teach you, I will be with you.”

     So friend, don’t give up today. You are never alone. The battle you fight is hard, scary, and overwhelming, but you are never abandoned. You might be on the ground, but I implore you, Get Up! You have more strength in you than you know. The Heavenly Father can give you strength you didn’t know could exist. Instead of giving up, I encourage you to trust.

     After winning the race I cleaned up the cuts and scraps that resulted from the fall. Even through the pain, I felt the merit of the win. That race had cost me something, but I was amazed that I still won. That memory has encouraged me in many other races I have faced in my life. Races are not limited to the track field. Challenges have arisen in my marriage, my family, and my career.

In the middle of the struggle, I am learning that God believes in me even when I don’t believe in myself. I am discovering that He is the designer, and He doesn't make mistakes. He has a better idea of the plans He has for my life than I do. When I finally came to a place of surrender to God, that is when I was able to really hear his voice leading me, instructing me, and whispering “Get Up Dianne, it’s not over yet.”      



No comments:

Post a Comment