Sunday, January 1, 2017

Game Day


“Wake up Dianne,” my Dad called, “It's game day.”

    I jumped out of bed to see how cold it was outside. The fall leaves were blowing faintly in the front yard but the sun was brightly shining. I quickly pulled on my jeans and threw on my favorite sweatshirt. Is that what people wore to these things?

    In a half hour I joined my Dad in the passenger seat for the hour and a half drive to the trolley we would ride to the Football stadium. As we passed the green mile markers on the highway I listened while Dad talked excitedly about the Hawkeyes rank this year. At the green trolley, we met Uncle Rick who had invited us. He too was excited about the game day adventure. The trolley was filled with people buzzing with enthusiasm. As I looked out the window, black and gold clad fans were milling everywhere on the streets.

     Soon we were all shuffling out of the trolley and entering the roaring stadium. The smell of popcorn, hotdogs and beer filled the air. The happy cadence of the marching band mingled with the cheering of countless fans as we walked through the gray floored concession area before entering the long flight of stairs out into the open air. The day was near sixty degrees with plenty of afternoon sun to make the game comfortable.

    Looking for our seats was breathtaking as I look through the sea of fans. Below the football teams were making their grand entrances as the marching band marched to the theme song. Climbing over four people apologetically we settled into our seats. I couldn’t believe I had been chosen to spend a day with my Father and Uncle above my brothers. I looked around in complete bliss and wonder.
I spent the next moments hearing about past games and experiences and listening to the excited chatter of brothers sharing memories. Though the football players looked small from our seats the atmosphere was thick with excitement.

“Let's Go Hawkeyes!” we shouted as one hoping for a touchdown.

   Meanwhile, I chomped on the butter popcorn I drew from the little white bag it was purchased in. The corners of my mouth stung from the salt. It was a small price to pay for such a thrilling experience. I racked my brain to remember the rules of football from the gym unit we had last spring. For once I wished I had paid attention in gym class. Shrugging I decided to focus on the cheerleaders. They looked like perfect little Barbies in their skinny mini uniforms with glittery pom-poms.
After several hours and two touchdowns I started to grow weary of the loud sounds and the huge crowd, as the fans all hung their heads in depression. It appeared that we might not pull through for the win.

“Come on Hawkeyes! Let's go!”

    At the close of the game, they were still down 2 points, but the Hawkeyes had possession of the ball and had the opportunity for a field goal. The crowd hushed in unison as the kicker ran to the football. As the football sailed through the air as one, the audience, leaned forward to see if the ball would make it through the field goal. 1-2-3 seconds passed like an eternity as the football bounced on the ground clearly making the goal…Roar!!!!


    The Hawkeye fans went wild as the game ended in a victory. The pep band played happily as Tubas and flutes seemed to dance a gig together to the clash of the cymbals. The fans began to exit as the teams shook hands. Waiting for a break in the crowd my father and Uncle sat laughing as they recounted what they had just encountered. I will never forget the love I felt to be invited to sit with the good ol' boys on “Game Day.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment