Monday, October 31, 2016

A Tribute to Ginger Ale



     I have always loved the way you sparkle and shine in a fancy clear plastic cup at Christmas. The way you calm my stomach when I feel sick. I love the way you blend with cherry syrup on ice. 

     Sometimes when I am feeling down and don’t know what to do, I go to the store just to purchase you. In England they call you “Ginger Beer” with the accent I think it sounds good on you.

   When I ride in a plane I am excited to sip you as I eat the small bag of complimentary peanuts. When I went to India I ordered you more than once on the flight, you really helped me with that green bean that turned out to be a hot pepper. I felt as if I was turning green and in danger of exploding, but thanks to you I had some relief. 

    When I plan a party I always think of you. You always give the Punch an extra kick! I like that “Ginger” is in your name, because I love ginger everything and anything. But can I get real?  Right now I am having a really bad day, and as much as you bubble and fizz I don’t think you can fix me. It seems in the past when times were tough I thought maybe you would do the trick, but life is hard and I’ve reached my sugar limit. After all it is Halloween and I have already snagged a handful of my children’s candy.

     In reality, as much as I like to consume you I have to turn to something in-consumable for hope. It feels weird to say this out loud when I just got done watching television. Every commercial seems to promise that food or drink can fill my every void. No, tonight I just have to face the loneliness of a wanting heart. 

     Dear Ginger Ale your goldish gleam can’t wash away my discouragement. After all, you are just a fountain drink. It turns out I need to drink from a source that doesn’t run dry. I know one of your name Brands is Canada Dry, but I don’t think there is a place on earth that carries the refreshment I seek. 

   Pause…Sigh…it’s here in the quiet that I begin to remember who I am. I am sister, wife, friend, daughter, mother, and aunt. I am laughter and tears, listening ear and prayer all while holding a cup of you, sparkling ginger ale. The precious moments we have spent sharing with those dear to me are a treasure. But I am afraid Ginger Ale, it is the memories I really want to hang unto and the One who made them possible. Tonight I am thirsty for a moment of refreshment, so would you join me in a frosty mug as I draw close to the worn out bible? Over the quiet hiss of your carbonation let's listen for the Words that bring life to this needy soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment