Sunday, October 23, 2016

The Art of Being Thankful

    
 It has been a busy day to end a busy week. In my PJ’s and cozy robe, I would like to take a few minutes to be thankful.  

    When I think of the way butter melts on freshly toasted Engish muffins, I’m thankful. The color hot pink, especially in shoes, is a delight. Biting into a piece of chocolate mousse pie, savoring the rich velvety texture of every bite, makes me thankful. When I peel a fresh orange smelling the citrus aroma in the air, before taking a juicy tangy bite I am thankful. 

    For Four-year-old girls’ hugs that are crazy tight for such little people, I am thankful. To wake up this morning in my own bed, in my own home amidst my family, I am thankful. For the smell of freshly baked bread as you are pushing a cart into Walmart, I am thankful. To still have my heart speed up when I see my husband from across a crowded room, after 18 years, I am thankful. 

    Having the opportunity to sing for Jesus and hopefully carry a tune other people enjoy hearing, I am blessed beyond measure.   For God the Father, Son, and HolySpirit and the mystery of never really understanding how magnificent God really is, I am thankful. 

    For the love of my dog Boomer, the truth is I don’t really like to pet you, but you forgive me every time you see me, I’m thankful. 

    For the grace of God….every day, in a million ways, I am thankful beyond words.

     For the smiling faces of all my friends and when I remember the uniqueness in each one of you, I am speechless with gratitude. 

    To experience my three children in all their brilliance and raw character I am amazed at the responsibility but so thankful for the opportunity. 

    I am thankful for Boomerang perms and lip gloss (without which I would not be able to have blog.) 

    I am also thankful for new dreams, new talents, and new "why not" moments. Life truly is amazing. It can feel dreadful one moment and then redeemed the next. It is definitely worth hanging on to and not giving up on this crazy thing called living. And faith in Jesus has remarkably changed my life over and over again. 

    Right now I am thankful to be sporting gray hair and at peace with embracing this aspect of myself. I am grateful for every person who has allowed me to pray and hope with you that God is big enough to meet your need. Such moments are the joy of my life. 

    And lastly, I am thankful for words. I spent so many years with a heart burning to speak, but as I picked up the pen I couldn’t let the words out. If they did spill in self-reproach I tore them up. Thank you to my friend Nichole who helped me realize that I had a voice worth hearing even if it wasn’t always upholding a positive and cookie cutter perfect life. (Big sigh) that revelation literally saved my life- Thank you. 

Finally, to all of you readers who have taken the time to read these words- you have been instruments of my healing and I am grateful for you!

Love,

Dianne       

1 comment: