Wednesday, October 26, 2016

No Longer a Slave


“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord not for men since you know that we will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.” Colossians 3:23.

I sat on the little stage as the minister read the scripture slowly and with great passion. I had a guitar in my hand and a handful of music on the stand in front of me. In a moment I would stand to sing with my freshly tuned guitar. It had been a long week of singing, every night filled with a rehearsal. To be honest, as I sat on the long wooden pew facing the small congregation I didn’t feel like singing at all that night.

As he introduced me as the musical guest I felt humbled knowing that I could barely make a chord sound on the instrument. “Dear Lord, hear my prayer make something beautiful come from this mess,” I whispered as I stood.

Standing in front of the microphone something happened. I looked out at the small number of bodies sitting in the echoing sanctuary and felt…Hope. Their weathered faces looked back at me as I stood speechless for a moment. As a single tear spilled down my cheek I could only utter the simple phrase, “He is here.” Though I couldn’t see the Lord with my eyes I felt him in this small gathering of unlikely saints.

It is one moment in the presence of God that makes a million rehearsals worth it. For one glimpse of the Creator all the sleep deprived car trips to drop off that last kid at the lock-in seem worth it. For one word from the Holy One all the greeting, setting up and tearing down, and difficult counseling sessions are a little offering in comparison to His presence. With the tear glistening on my cheek I began to sing.

You unravel me with a melody
 you surround me with a song
of deliverance from my enemies
till all my fears are gone.
I’m no longer a slave to fear
I am a child of God.

To my surprise, I felt the love of God envelope us. My voice filled the hollow hall as several worn voices joined in harmony. “I’m no longer a slave to fear, I am a child of God.” The broken praise rose up resounding against stain glass windows ever lifted higher to the invisible God.

I came that night only out of obligation, but I was amazed by the Lord’s reward. On each face I saw joy wash away the hardness. In calloused and dirty hands lifted to the Lord I witnessed their surrender. “Amazing Grace how sweet the Sound that saved a wretch like me.”

Thank you God for helping me to see the raw reality of your heart. To bring the broken to Your side soothing them with peace, and mending them with hope.  A peace not of this world but from your heavenly home. In that little church I encountered the hospitality of the King of Kings as he welcomed us all to come just as we are.

I stood unraveled by His melody of grace in awe as he surrounded us with a song of His deliverance
I felt His perfect peace as all my fear melted away.

I’m no longer a slave to fear, Oh no, I declare I am a Child of God.    
  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment