Monday, December 19, 2016

The Side Door Nativity


Driving to work the other morning I felt rushed. The kids were in school, and my work day was about to begin. As I stopped at the red light I looked over at the row of houses lining the street. I had time to sip the coffee in my to-go cup. In that moment I noticed a plastic nativity set up by the side door of a house. The light turned green as I frowned.

Time for work, and there was a lot to do. The Christmas season was fast approaching the Christmas jingle reminded me as it crooned on the radio. A side door nativity how strange?  Whistling to “I’ll be home for Christmas,” I pulled into my usual parking space.

Gathering my bag I braved the cold to walk the short distance to the church office. As my breath made little white clouds in the crisp morning air I shifted my thoughts to the tasks of the day. In a few minutes, I was elbow deep in emails and the to-do list for the day.

It wasn’t until I drove home that night that I again remembered the side door Nativity. Why would the Christmas story be segregated to the side door? The lawn looked big enough to make festive with the stable scene. On the way, I saw many homes lit up with colorful lights. At one house I even saw a blow-up dinosaur bobbing in the wind. All such decorations were lit brightly and fashioned to draw attention to the eye as if to say, “Happy Holidays.”

But the side door Nativity did not proclaim a “Merry Christmas,” in the blue shadows at five PM as the moon began to peer through the overcast night sky. No spotlight illuminated the Virgin Mary as she looked upon the miracle child. No light revealed the peaceful countenance of the animals gathered in the stable, or the look of worship on the stand in Father, Joseph’s face as he looked upon his Savior. Only the moon’s light illuminated the Christ child’s face looking up into the eyes of a broken world, one he had come to save. No, this Nativity scene was sitting in the cold away from the light abandoned by the side door.

As I frantically try to shop for those on my Christmas list I often forget the real reason for celebration. It is not that I mean to leave out Jesus at Christmas, it’s just I am a bit too busy. After all, there are Christmas cookies to bake, and a tree to decorate, concerts to attend and parties to enjoy. Sure there is plenty of red and green and carols to sing but am I guilty of leaving the nativity at the side door of this season? Do I display gifts and traditions on the front lawn with brilliant lights illuminating everything but the little babe born to save the world?  

Worn out after a day of shopping I realize I missed my devotions and the list is still not completed.  It is here on the couch, in pajamas and slippers I hear the whisper of the Holy Spirit calling my heart, “O Come and adore Him.” I am reminded that it is Jesus who has changed my life. In the quietness of reflection, I decide to return the Christmas Story of Jesus born in a manger from the side door of my life to the front door of my heart.

Away in a manger, no crib for a bed the little Lord Jesus laid down his sweet head. The stars in the sky looked down where he lay the little Lord Jesus asleep on the hay.


No comments:

Post a Comment