Saturday, December 17, 2016

A Little Girl in Lane #1

    
    The snow began to fall a little before three PM. I ran into the grocery store to get a few things for my youngest daughter’s Birthday Party. As I walked through the automatic doors I noticed many others were coming in for a few things too. In fact, each aisle was full of hustle and bustle as the feeling of snow was in the air. Finally. I gathered my items to check out and discovered that all the lanes were filled with at least 3 shoppers, so I decided on check out #1. As I leaned over my cart I noticed the woman in front of me with several kids, 1,2,3,4 and a baby carrier in the shopping cart.

    Silently I watched the mother handling her little gaggle of children calmly. Wow, I thought to myself. I can’t even count all those kids. As I drew closer to start to unload my cart on the conveyor belt I noticed one of the children was a little girl with blond hair. Looking at all the others I realized she was the only girl of the family. She smiled at me as I unloaded the marshmallows. I smiled back, as I asked if the baby was a boy or girl because the top of the carrier was covered.

The little girl replied, “He is a boy baby and he is already a year old,” pushing back the canopy of the carrier to reveal a sleeping tot, “I was pretty sad about it.”

     In that moment I felt connected to this little stranger. Her candid honesty reminded me of all the reasons why I wanted a sister too. I was the third of four children and the only girl.  As much as I tried to fit in with the boys, it was obvious I wasn’t one. I longed to have a sister to talk to about girly things. I dreamed of how fun it would be to wear matching clothes and tell each other secrets…instead, I was chased by brothers dangling spiders from branches. I was bullied for getting in the way. I was left home while they went on fishing trips together.

Yes, I knew what it was like to be “pretty sad about it.”

   In the pretty blue eyes and soft golden curls unfurling under a hand knit hat, this little girl bravely revealed her heart. In that moment we were instant friends. That quality is the very reason I love having women in my life.

    As much as I love my husband, and I think of him as my best friend he can’t touch my heart in the way a great conversation with a warm mug of coffee can with my closest girlfriends. They get me, they understand, they are able to hear through my many words to what I am really trying to say. When I come home from being with them I am more able to be present with my family, more focused on the job, and more content with who I am.

Yes, I always wanted a sister, but instead I was given brothers.

    I continued to chat with the little girl until her mother finished paying for the groceries. I waved good-bye as they hurried out into the wintery afternoon.

    Returning to the task of unloading the rest of my groceries I checked my phone for the time. I had to hurry home to prepare for the party. On the way to my minivan with a sack of groceries in my arms, I thought about my own daughters. I am so happy God gave me two so that they could have what I always wanted.

   Are they always happy with each other? No, but they seem to make up quicker than the quarrel lasted. For years I would find my youngest sleeping with her sister even if it meant waiting until everyone fell asleep to sneak into her bed. On family trips, they sit close whispering secrets and laughing at inside jokes. I am glad that I have daughters.

    I am thankful today that when you trust in the Lord He does give you the true desires of your heart. As the snowflakes fall outside my living room window I reflect on his goodness. The hyper squeal of six sugared up girls comes drifting up the stairs as I can almost hear them singing, "Girls Just Want to Have Fun."

   Balloons are scattered on the floor along with little bits of wrapping paper. My baby is now eleven. Time flies when you are having fun.

    No matter how your life looks today, it is not the full story. As I wished I could whisper to the sweet-faced little girl in Lane #1  this is just a scene in that story. Trust in the Lord, even through the disappointments because He knows your hearts cry. In His timing, he will surprise you with more than enough.   
  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment